Soil Permeability Apparatus
Standard : IS 2720 (PART-XV), IS:12287, BS:1377, ASTM D2435
Model No. : PIT-
Soil Permeability Apparatus comes with glass tubes of 75mm, bore tube is provided with overflow arrangement for constant head tests. The remaining tubes are used for falling head test.
Read more about Soil Permeability Apparatus :- Click Here
Soil Permeability Apparatus | Constant Head Permeability | Falling Head Permeability Test
Soil Permeability Test Apparatus is a property of soil that permits the flow of water through its interconnecting voids. Permeability is an important engineering property that governs the rate of settlement of saturated compressible soil layers and the rate of flow of aquifer. Permeability is taken into account for pumping groundwater, spacing well points for de-watering foundation sites for excavation, retention of water in reservoirs, design of dams, and selection of soils to be used for various zones of embankments of dams and reservoirs.
The coefficient of permeability can be computed from the effective diameter of particles, porosity, specific surface, and from consolidation test results. But permeability depends on numerous factors; hence, determination of permeability by direct laboratory method using an apparatus called Permeameter is considered more accurate. The specimen used in par is small, time taken is less, and the results obtained are accurate.
There are two types of Parameters, namely Constant Head Parameter and Falling Head Parameter. falling head permeability test parameter are used for testing remolded or undisturbed fine-grained soil having less than 10·2 cm/sec coefficient of permeability and Constant head permeability test Permeameter are used for coarse-grained cohesionless soils
Constant Head Permeability Test Apparatus
- Used to determine the permeability of granular, gravel, and sand soils.
- The specimen is formed in an acrylic permeability cell, and water is passed through it from a constant level tank.
- The permeability cell has pressure points at different levels which are connected to the manometer tubes fixed on a stand with a graduated scale.
- Two constant head permeability cells are available: 75 mm and 114 mm in diameter.
Falling Head Permeability Test Apparatus
- Used to determine the permeability of fine-grained soils such as clay-like or silty soils.
- The specimen is confined within the permeameter which is connected to the manometer tube filled with water.
- The sample must be completely sutured with water before the test.
- the operator will check the rate of fall of the water in the tube passing through the test specimen.
- The set consists of Permeameter stand with three manometer tubes each Ø 3, 4, and 6mm for the different degrees of permeability, soaking reservoir with cock, tubing, and connectors.